Friday humor: output to printer, output to window

Subject: Friday humor: output to printer, output to window
From: "Alex Silbajoris" <alsilba -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2001 14:02:32

Quills,

In the last few days, I've been documenting a Web-based interface to a new computer system. Some client representatives in the building have been requesting changes daily, and I've been running behind the parade trying to keep my documents current.

Yesterday one request was to change a reference to a report output. The report can be sent to a printer, or to display on the screen. They changed "screen" to "window," and when I wrote about directing the output to a window, I gave into temptation.

First, I made a straight version of the document and submitted it. Then I made another version that said "Choosing the window option will require you to fold the paper along the pattern shown below." Then I put in a little graphic showing the fold lines to make a paper airplane. I showed it to my manager, who didn't get it at first, and got all excited about "They can't say window because the window doesn't open until they request the report..." But he finally did get the joke.

If you knew the end users, you'd understand. They really would send it out the window.

- A

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: