Re: Documentation Types (repost)

Subject: Re: Documentation Types (repost)
From: Jo Baer <jbaer -at- mailbox1 -dot- tcfbank -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 15:42:56 -0500

Besides saying that it depends a lot on the industry you write for, I think
that's a good list. Our tech writing department also writes two forms of
bulletins which notify our banks of changes to the system. These bulletins go
out (ideally) 10 days before implementation, and serve as documentation until we
release updated policies and procedures for their Reference Manual.

The tech writers don't write the following documents, but they are a crucial
part of any project: Project Initiation Documents and Project Objective
Documents. These are written by analysts, and give a lot of background and
detail for the projects.Sometimes, although not always, these documents include
at least some design specs. We actually use these (along with standard torture
methods) to get the information we need to determine the documentation needs for
the project--updates to existing manuals, new manuals, other kinds of
documentation... In some companies the tech writers create these documents.

Jo

--
Jo Baer
Senior Technical Writer

Weakness Through Strength

Fanatics may defend a point of view
so strongly as to prove it can't be true.

Piet Hein

<snip>