RE: corrupt word doc fix?

Subject: RE: corrupt word doc fix?
From: KMcLauchlan -at- chrysalis-its -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 13:59:12 -0400

Here's another thought you could pursue:

Apparently, the makers of Word assumed that when
writing documents, you would not ever make more
than 1500 transitions between numbered and bulleted
items/conditions, in a single doc.

A much-used, much-revised working document in our
department was recently giving "may be corrupt"
messages and a helpful IT wonk found a reference
on the Microsoft web site. The problem file, by
the way, had nearly 2200 of the offending transitions.
Go figure.

Anyway, the following is a paraphrase of
the Microsoft page. This will not help much if you
have REAL corruption. It will help if you have bogus
"corrupted" messages... in Windoze. (We mostly use NT, here.)

***Begin***
A change to registry is needed to accept a larger range of switches between
numbering and bullets.

Here's the change needed:
· Run "Regedit"
· Select the following key in the Windows registry:
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\9.0\Word\Options
· On the Edit menu, click New, click DWord Value, and then add the
following registry value:
o Value Name: LTOverflowRecovery
o Value: 1
· On the Registry menu, click Exit.

And voilà! Your document is fixed and no more annoying messages.

***End***

/kevin