Re: How much do people need to be told in documentation?

Subject: Re: How much do people need to be told in documentation?
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 10:12:22 -0700

Hart, Geoff wrote:

The standard rule of thumb for such things is emphasize only one way to do
things in the text, but provide a list of shortcuts and alternatives
somewhere

While I generally agree with this rule,I've made an exception in the last few years for documentation aimed at Linux beginners. I had two reasons:

- I wanted new comers to realize the full range of options.

- More experienced Linux users, who might also use some of the material, are both completists and individualistic in their work methods. In other words, they want to know all the options, and dislike being herded (as they would see it) towards using one method only.

This second reason is, in fact, my largest qualm about using only one method in the text. If only menu commands are mentioned, then the majority of users may only know the menu commands. They may never learn the keyboard commands, which are often more efficient.

"Writing is an occupation in which you have to keep proving your talent to those who have none."
- Jules Renard

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: