RE: How much do people need to be told in documentation.

Subject: RE: How much do people need to be told in documentation.
From: "Tommy Green" <tom -dot- green -at- iwon -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 11:31:57 -0500

-- Original Message --

>Two issues. I'm documenting a script where the person using the
>script must fill in a form and some of the form fields require an
>email adddress. He insists on including a full paragraph on what a
>valid email address looks like.
>

>Opinions on either?

I agree with you on both topics John. If someone does not know how to fill
out their email address, they probably don't own a computer anyway. I believe,
unless your audience is grade 6 level or below, that everyone knows what
an email address is.

As to the CTRL-C and CTRL-V...other manuals state it the way you want to.
If the user knows the other ways, then fine, he/she will use whatever is
comfortable for them. No need to list all the different was to do it.

Tom

Visit iWon.com - the Internet's largest guaranteed cash giveaway! Click
here now for your "Thank You" gift:
http://www.iwon.com/giftcenter/0,2612,,00.html?t_id=20157