RE: Enough

Subject: RE: Enough
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <SGallagher -at- akonix -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 17:02:42 -0700

Colleagues,

The events of Tuesday morning were horrible and affect all
of us. That said, some of us were more personally affected
than others and my heart goes out to them. I understand the
need to talk and to send condolences; I understand the need
to be comforted by friends and community, whether virtual or
physical.

But this is Thursday evening. I've seen that Canadian
editorial come thru my inbox at least six times and have sat
thru discussions of lighting candles in the dark, in the middle
of the day, according to GMT,... I'm afraid I have to agree
with Jason there. Those messages are spam and I wish they'd
stop. Elna hit the nail on the head -- the OT posts are getting
more judgemental and more critical. And I, for one, don't find
them the least bit comforting.

And then someone asks a real TW question and we ignore it!

Yes, we've been through a lot and each of us must move thru
the stages of grief and heal at our own pace and in our own
ways. Those of us that were impacted personally by this
horrible event will take a long time to move through the
stages of grief and healing (denial, sorrow, anger, bargaining,
and acceptance). And each must heal themselves in their own
time. But note that the final stage of grief is acceptance.
Eventually, we all must accept that this tragedy occurred and
go on with living. Those that we lost wouldn't want it any other
way.

As a community, we can now help our sorrowful colleagues heal
more quickly by providing an atmosphere that approaches normalcy,
giving them a place to go where grief is not the centerpiece and
providing them with useful, productive thoughts on which to focus.

We are professionals with jobs to do and deadlines to meet. If we
stop work any longer, if we let the economy dip, never mind flounder,
then we let the terrorists win and the innocent and the brave will
have died in vain.

Monday was a good, productive day. Let's let Friday be that too.
We'll provide bookends of sanity on a mid-week of hell and show
terrorists everywhere that they cannot damage us, no matter how
hard they try.

And so, I too say enough. Enough crying and wailing, enough bickering,
enough off topic. We can support each other by being strong. And
getting back to business.

-Sue Gallagher
sgallagher -at- akonix -dot- com

Elna Tymes said:
...perhaps these OT posts are not technically "spam" but they
are definitely not related to technical writing, and they reflect personal
or
political opinions. In contrast to what we saw Tuesday and Wednesday on
this
board, today's OT posts have been more judgmental, more critical, less
informative...

In particular, telling someone he's "a disgrace to the technical writing
profession" is highly inappropriate for this list - it's name calling and
it's
specifically prohibited in the rules.