RE: Article: The e-book era is here (despite reports to the contr ary)

Subject: RE: Article: The e-book era is here (despite reports to the contr ary)
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2001 08:46:47 -0400

No offense John, but I'm constantly outside the box. (No one ever lets me
in. *g*)

I've been following eBooks for a while, read tons of articles and
specifications, been to seminars and have talked with many other
professionals about them. The truth is, the actual "eBook" technology, has a
long way to go before it can be deemed useful above other mediums. Right now
there is very little difference between a PDF and an eBook beyond bells and
whistles, which are subjective features. The on-screen readability issue is
still very real, and the manipulation of online data to other forms, while
not necessary as you point out, is still in demand. Why? Because people are
accustomed to caring for electronic data, whether it be in storage,
duplication for protection, or repurposing (printing) for other uses.

True, no one goes out and buys a book and then photocopies every page so
they can safely store the original and read the copy. BUT, people do make
copies if they want to use the information in any way, whether it's to mark
up the copy with notes or (legally) distribute appropriate pages to a class
for assignment.

My whole direction as a technical writer is toward online media. That is how
I began my career, and that is how I intend to continue it. I also value
print for many reasons, as it's still what many people ask for, IN ADDITION
to the online copy.

Online distribution of information has changed our world without a doubt.
Just look at what's been happening on HATT since 9am yesterday. The list was
delivering information about the tragedies as fast if not faster (globally)
than conventional media (television and radio). We were hearing about events
from all over the globe in response and reaction to what happened. It was
utterly amazing.

I see the eBook technology as the Newton. It's a start of a new trend. Just
as the Newton paved the way for Palm, Handspring, Casio, etc., eBook will
pave the way for more robust online information technologies. I don't
include PDF here for the main reason that despite its flexibility, most
people use it to deliver print-ready online documentation, where eBooks are
100% online media.

Anyhow, never mistake an opinion for lack of insight, foresight, or
knowledge. I cannot see, in the near or more-distant future, printed
information going away. It is by far the handiest format we've known, and
the most user-friendly. Online information is getting better, but it can't -
and shouldn't pretend to be able to - replace print. Each medium has its own
benefits and limitations.

*****************
BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N
1881 Worcester Road
Framingham, Mass. 01701
T E L * 508-879-8400 x316
F A X * 508-879-8500
www.courion.com
THIS EMAIL CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
MEANT FOR THE INTENDED RECIPIENT ONLY. PLEASE
DELETE THIS IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED IT IN ERROR.