RE: Software Info

Subject: RE: Software Info
From: "David Berg" <dberg -at- dmpnet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:28:04 -0500

> From: Andrew Plato
>
> Although this statement will deeply offend many writers, most of the
> things you can do in Frame or PageMaker *can* be done in Word. It just
> might not be as plesant or as powerful.
>
> So you may want to stick with Word. It can do the job.

You're right as usual, Andrew (did I really say that?!?)

In fact, I'd go so far as to say that for 1 or 2 page desktop
publishing-type stuff, gimme PageMaker. For longer documentation stuff,
gimme Word every time (*if* it's a choice between PageMaker and Word, the 2
tools she says she has on hand).

I've wasted *way* too much time shuffling images, separate text blocks, and
tables around in PageMaker, whereas Word anchors the images and moves 'em
with the text. That's my single least favorite thing about doing documents
in PageMaker, and it's a colossal waste of time. And don't forget the
*lovely* way that PageMaker provides for doing tables...in Adobe Table. Ick!

Yes, I will work in PageMaker if I'm told I have to, but they'd better be
paying me by the hour. For all its quirks and pains, Word is still a
reasonably capable tool. Now if we want to talk about WordPerfect.... :)

David Berg