Documentation of Scripting

Subject: Documentation of Scripting
From: walter -dot- crockett -at- ascentialsoftware -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 08:25:01 -0400

I am updating documentation on using scripts to run our software from the
DOS command line. The current documentation is not written in a standard API
form, and it is often difficult to tell which information is supposed to be
part of the script the user writes(a VB-type script), and which is supposed
to be included in the command.

I have dealt with API manuals before and found that the attitude among the
engineers who spec them out seems to be that anyone who can write scripts
doesn't need any hand-holding. However, I'd prefer to create a document so
clear that even a novice (with some understanding of programming languages)
could learn how to script the tool.

Are there any good books on this subject, or standards to follow? If you
have an example you are proud of, please send it my way.

Thanks,
Walter Crockett