Help - missing htm extension?

Subject: Help - missing htm extension?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 09:07:49 -0400

Another Writer (who might just be T Jones reports: <<The head of our sales
team just sent out an invitation to our website to 200 people and neglected
to include .htm at the end of the [file name]; Using IIS, this doesn't fly -
you
get a 404 error. Is there anything I can do to create a page that works with
IIS that we can use to redirect users to the correct page?>>

Assuming that the file itself is actually coded in HTML, all you need to do
is rename the file; if you have direct shell access to your server and know
UNIX, you can do this directly from the command line; if not, most good FTP
software (I like ws_ftp, which you can download from www.tucows.com)
contains a "rename" command that will let you navigate to the directory the
file's in and change the name. Easiest of all, however, would be to rename
the file in the authoring tool that you used, then upload it again to the
site; how to do this depends on the software you're using and how your Web
geeks have set up the process for uploading files, so you'll have to talk to
them for details. The biggest advantage of using the authoring tool is that
if the file is linked to any other pages in the site, the software will warn
you of this problem and let you correct it and upload any other files that
are affected.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"How are SF writers like technical writers? Well, we both write about the
things we imagine will happen in the future!"--Sue Gallagher