RE: Working for a subcontractor

Subject: RE: Working for a subcontractor
From: Darren Barefoot <Darren -dot- Barefoot -at- capeclear -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 6 Sep 2001 13:11:24 +0100

To briefly supplement what Ms. Carnall wrote:

All of what Jane has to say also applies to Ireland. In particular,
telecommuting is a rare thing here. Mind you, my company did buy all of the
technical writers laptops, so we do work *from* home every once and a while,
but nobody I know works *at* home fulltime.

This cultural difference was brought home when I recently went hunting for a
desk to put my new home computer on. I probably visited fifteen furniture
stores and only two of them contained anything remotely resembling a
computer desk. I had to visit the Irish equivalent of "Sears" or "Consumers
Distributing" (the latter may have been only a Canadian company, so the
reference may be lost on the majority of readers...my apologies) to find any
sort of home office furnishings.

And don't get me started on the poor selection in computer stores here. Or
the rarity of computer stores altogether. I would wager there's 30 pubs for
every computer store in Dublin. Here ends my rant. DB.