Re: To utilize or not to utilize

Subject: Re: To utilize or not to utilize
From: "Stuart Rogers" <srogers -at- phoenix-geophysics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2001 11:07:59 -0400

FWIW, the new Gage Canadian Dictionary does make a distinction between
USE and UTILIZE:

?Use, the general and common word, emphasizes putting something or
someone into service as a means or help in carrying out a purpose or
getting what one wants: He uses a typewriter for his homework.

?Utilize emphasizes making useful or turning to profitable use: She
utilizes every scrap of food.?

As a recent refugee from Nortel Networks (one of the few to leave
voluntarily), I also agree with others that in voice and data
communications, ?bandwidth utilization? does definitely imply the degree
of efficiency with which network facilities are, um, employed. With the
Gage distinctions in mind, I would say that if the system administrators
set up the network for efficient _bandwidth utilization_, then we poor
schmucks on the edge of the network can make good _use_ of it.

Stuart Rogers
new lone technical writer
Phoenix Geophysics Limited
srogers -at- phoenix-geophysics -dot- com