Re: Working for a subcontractor

Subject: Re: Working for a subcontractor
From: "Lurker writer" <lurker_writer -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2001 07:08:38 -0500

Lisa:

Welcome to the world of contracting...I'm guessing here but the fact that you sound like you've been blindsided indicates that maybe you didn't research the contracting option thoroughly enough.

As a former contractor (1099 and W-2), I had to deal with prima dona writers/editors/managers of the client company; I had to forego training on the company's nickel and pay for it myself on my own time (usually evenings and weekends); occasionally I got the lousy jobs to work on that nobody wanted; I couldn't participate in the client company functions; I had a lousy 401K and my insurance was only adequate when I worked through an agency. But the jobs were not long term and my hourly rate was very good.

I once worked a six-month contract that I couldn't wait to get out of. When the contract was about to expire (and I was ready to vacation in the Bahamas for a week), the client came to me and begged me to stay on for another 2 months until the project was finished--no matter the cost. I doubled my hourly rate and they didn't blink. So, this is early 1994 and I'm making something like $70 or $80 an hour...but I counted down the hours until the end of that contract. Contracting can be a double-edged sword too.

Working as a contractor and a captive employee both have their own advantages and disadvantages. Not everyone is cut out to be a contractor or be self-employed; and not everyone is cut out to be a good foot soldier (employee). It sounds like you prefer the comfort (relative term) of being a full-time employee. And that's OK as it looks like it will give you those things you want and need in an organizational setting.

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: