Re: HTML editor: does everyone need to be on the same page?

Subject: Re: HTML editor: does everyone need to be on the same page?
From: John Posada <jposada01 -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 3 Sep 2001 13:18:46 -0700 (PDT)

> On Mon, 3 Sep 2001, John Posada wrote:
>
> > What the WYSIWYG authoring tools are, is a tool. What they
> > produce is up to the expertise and imagination of the user.
> > There is nothing within the capabilities of FP or any WYSIWYG
> > editor that prevents someone from producing a feature-rich
> > and perfectly presentable web page.
>
> When two or more people need to edit or update the same files, I
> think it's a real time-saver for everyone to be using the same
> WYSIWYG tool to create their content.

We come full circle...notice the subject line. This whole thread was
initiated by someone who was complaining that the project manager
wanted everyone to use the same authoring tool and since that person
did not like the authoring tool, wanted to code in NotePad. However,
everytime FP is mentioned as a tool, someone will come forward and
complain about the "no-longer-true-in-the-current-version" tendancy
of FP to do things with their beloved code.

> > I can also spot a some documents made with Word or with Frame, or
> > sometimnes, an image that was produced by Illustrator. Does that
> > mean that since I can recognize the authoring tool, that the
> > authoring > tool is at fault, or is it the user?
>
> It's quite often the tool, I'm afraid. I can be really diligent
> about my application of paragraph styles, but Homesite 4.0 is
> _still_ going to use <div> tags everywhere, and Word 2000 is
> _still_ going to add XML coding to my HTML.

So what?...does a <div> tag change the look of the page that much
when it is applied by the application? Aren't <div> tags actualy
specified in HTML standards since 3.0, supported by Opera since v2,
NS since v2, IE since v3? Does XML tags change the look that much? Is
applying XML coding such a bad thing?

With or without them, the page is going to look pretty much the same
in the same browser. If you don't look at the code itself (and how
many people outside of web authors are going to do this on a regular
basis?), you usualy won't know.

> I seem to recall that an earlier version of DreamWeaver actually
> added a bunch of tags that Homesite 4.0 (or maybe 3.5) did not.

See the paragraph above about the PM who wanted every author "on the
same page".

=====
John Posada, Senior Technical Writer
"I am a bomb disposal expert. If you see me running, try to keep up."

http://im.yahoo.com