Introduction and request for ideas

Subject: Introduction and request for ideas
From: "Becca Croft" <bcroft -at- plexisweb -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 19:54:27 -0700

I am delighted to have found this forum. I thought I was alone in my world
of grammar and spelling obsessions. It is very comforting to know that I am
not alone and humbling to see that my knowledge is nil compared to the
collective knowledge I see posted here.

I have confidence that one or more of you will offer a solution to my
problem:

I am looking for a help authoring tool to convert a large (600+ page) Word
document with graphics, hyperlinks, etc., to WinHelp and HTML Help files.
Since the written documentation is updated frequently, I need the
conversion/importation to be seamless and error-free. I have tried RoboHelp
and Doc-to-Help without much success. The two main criteria are as follows:

1. I wish to be able to import the document and have the topics created
according to the "heading" styles in the document template. This must be
customizable as the template is very complex and should not be modified for
this purpose.

2. I also desire the application to "stand alone", so that it will complete
the import process and allow editing outside of the Word environment. My
experience is that any application that ties itself to Word just ties Word
down. Add-ins create unacceptable instability, even with the fastest
computers.

Any feedback you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

With much respect,

Becca Croft