RE: Word Usage/Commonly Confused Words

Subject: RE: Word Usage/Commonly Confused Words
From: skwpt <skwpt -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2001 10:03:14 -0700 (PDT)

From: Roger Bell <RBell -at- OptioSoftware -dot- com>
> Does anyone know of free Internet resources
> regarding standard U.S. English word usage?
> For example, the Web site might show how to
> properly use "effect" and "affect."

Roger, check these free sites:
http://www.bartleby.com/64/3.html
http://academics.smcvt.edu/writingctr/commonly.htm
http://www.ucalgary.ca/UofC/eduweb/writing/confuse.htm
http://www.pnl.gov/ag/usage/confuse.html
http://www.richmond.edu/~writing/wweb/conford.htm
http://www.solutionsevents.com/extras/comcon2.htm
http://karn.ohiolink.edu/~sg-ysu/confword.html
http://www.transaction.net/web/tutor/text/orwell.html
http://rinkworks.com/words/confused.shtml
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shadowlands/4778/CattCnfsdWrdsMn.htm
http://www.mc3.edu/peopplac/lib/lal/workshops/wksp_spelling/easilyconfusedwords.html
http://www.augsburg.edu/writinglab/commonconfusedwords.htm
http://www.epcc.edu/Student/Tutorial/Writingcenter/Handouts/wordchoice/confusedwords.html

All the above lists discuss word choice and commonly
confused words (like affect vs. effect).

I included a chapter on this very topic in my
technical publications style guide. Let me know if
you'd like me to send you a copy.

HTH
Kelly

http://im.yahoo.com