Re: Vancouver Job Market: Another Observation

Subject: Re: Vancouver Job Market: Another Observation
From: "Moe Smith" <moesmith88 -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 14:19:45 -0700

<IMHO>

As a re-patrioted Canadian (who recently spent 19 months in the Puget Sound job market, 13 of those months employed) who's just recently returned to the Vancouver job scene, I found that more companies here were willing to talk to me, or even made the effort to do so, as compared to those in Seattle and the out-lying areas. By my count, approx. 20% of my resumes went to companies in Vancouver, but 2/3's of my responses/interviews came from vancouver, as well.

Granted, your mileage may vary, but the local scene seems to be doing pretty well. Combine that with a general sense of the public's confidence, both in the economy and the government, Vancouver seems to be a happening place these days, for jobs and for the industry, overall.

</IMHO>

moe smith

A cancelled appointment has left me spending the afternoon updating my
list of local companies in Vancouver, BC. It's reached about 1050 - up
about 135 from a few weeks ago, and starting to recreate what was lost
to feline ravages a few years ago.

Anyway. As I've worked for the last couple of hours, I haven't noticed
much change in the overall numbers. Lots of companies have failed since
I last updated the list about fourteen months ago, but, for every
company that has gone out of business, it seems that at least one other
one has started, or else a large company has opened a branch office in
the city. So, despite the apparent downturn, the number of companies has
remained more or less the same.

It's true that not all these companies are hiring. No wonder - who's
serious about such things in August? After Labour Day is soon enough to
buckle down to work. But this observation is one more reason for me to
believe that the local economy isn't as bad as the media claims.

Or perhaps it's just that, as one company fails, failed CEOs start
another one so that they don't have to work for anyone else. :-)

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: