Re: Question for Contract Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Question for Contract Tech Writers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2001 10:24:28 -0700

Carey Jennifer (Cry) wrote:

What i'm getting at, is that flexibility is not necessarily a bad
thing as long as the parties involved want a real long term working
relationship, not a "get what I can and the rest be damned" one.

I think you've reached the heart of the matter: there has to be trust on both sides.

I don't object to flexibility. Obviously, everyone needs it, especially in this business climate. And I'm always happy to work again with previous clients with whom I've had a good relation. If nothing else, I know the client's quirks, and the client knows mine, so we can work together better.

What I do object to is deliberately stringing a contract writer along, even encouraging him or her to turn down other contracts, with a vague promise of future work that the company may or may not fulfill. That's bad faith, and while it may make for short term advantage, it doesn't build long term business relations.

The company would do far better to explain to whoever it hired that it would be interested in hiring him or her in the future, but can't make guarantees. If the company would show this basic honesty, then the writer would probably be far more likely to make an effort to accomodate its needs in the future. If it misleads, then the writer is more likely to avoid the company. Really, it's as simple as that.

"Hallelujah, I'm a bum,
Hallelujah, bum again;
Hallelujah, give us a handout
To revive us again."
-American Traditional, 20th Century

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: