Re: Question for Contract Tech Writers

Subject: Re: Question for Contract Tech Writers
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2001 20:14:53 -0700

Patty wrote:

I must say that, if I were in their shoes, unless there was a guarantee of future work *on paper* I would be reluctant to promise anything. Contract work is very unreliable, especially in this economy.

That's right. Nobody who is seriously trying to make a living as a contractor would act otherwise. After a few months of contracting, you've had too many broken promises from potential employers to believe anything that's not set in writing.

A willingness to set down terms in writing is a sign that both parties have nothing to hide. Conversely, a refusal to do so is guaranteed to make the othe party suspicious of your intentions.

If I were working for your company under the circumstances described, when I received a concrete offer of employment that I couldn't work into my schedule, I would immediately tell the company. I'd give it first right of refusal on my services, but I wouldn't turn down the other offer unless your company provided a written contract.

The reason I would act this way? Simply because I'd like to be able to plan ahead. If your company can provide me the security to do so, and I like the work and the people there, great. If not - well, no worries. Contrary to your statement, contract work is very reliable, and there is always something else available.

Loyalty - to say nothing of a successful contract - has to be two ways. When I sign a contract, I feel obligated to give the best value I can for the money I'm being paid. In return, I expect the company to feel obligated to treat me fairly and honestly - and that doesn't include stringing me along on vague promises. The very fact that your company refuses to commit would me make more inclined not to work for it again. The company could praise me and my work in a perpetual angelic choir, and if it refused to commit, I would only dismiss its praise as hollow and move on.

In short, your analysis of the situation is extremely accurate. All I can really add is that, if your company ever acts in the way it is contemplating, it runs a risk of not only losing a contractor, but of finding hiring a contractor more difficult as word of its behaviour gets around.

"Hallelujah, I'm a bum,
Hallelujah, bum again;
Hallelujah, give us a handout
To revive us again."
-American Traditional, 20th Century

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: