Re: Relocation. THANKS--and my decision

Subject: Re: Relocation. THANKS--and my decision
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 11:10:03 -0700

skwpt wrote:

Thank you EVERYONE who responded (there were legion!).
Many of you wanted to know my final decision. I am
going to turn down the offer and stay in Boston. NC
has its pros (and it was nice to hear from people
living there), but in my list of pros and cons,
staying in NE won. Here's why.

[snip]

I was in a similar position a year ago. After considerable soul-searching, I decided not to move for the sorts of reasons that you've listed. More recently, I found another reason.

A year ago, the company seemed very promising. Now, through a series of unforeseen circumstances that I won't bother to explain, it's barely in existence. Had we moved, we would have been stuck in a city whose weather, cultural scene and general amenities were very limited compared to what we were used to. Worse, instead of being in a place where I could immediately find work to keep me going, I would have been faced with the task of looking for work in a city where I had almost no professional contacts.

At least one other employee did make the move, selling his house and finding another one, and uprooting his family. I feel more sorry for him than I can say, not least of all because, if I had been a little less careless, we would have been in the same position.

"Hallelujah, I'm a bum,
Hallelujah, bum again;
Hallelujah, give us a handout
To revive us again."
-American Traditional, 20th Century

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: