Re: Style Question

Subject: Re: Style Question
From: "Michael West" <mike -dot- west -at- oz -dot- quest -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 13:18:37 +1000

"tara bowman" wrote
> What is the best way to go about creating a style sheet for Word/RoboHelp
> documents? Also, could I please get a clear definition on the difference
> between style sheets and style guides?

In traditional publishing, a house style guide prescribes the
editorial rules to be followed within a particular organization.

A style sheet, on the other hand, is an editor's informal
sheet of notes for maintaining consistency within a given
book, article or other publication project.

No house style guide can cover everything, so it is up to an
editor to ensure consistency in terminology, abbreviations,
cross references, punctuation rules, footnotes, and so on,
within each project.

The equivalent in electronic publishing to a traditional style
sheet is the document template, supplemented by auto-text
entries or glossary entries that enforce consistency. The main
difference is that whereas traditional style sheets were simply
manual tracking aids for editors, electronic style sheets (templates),
used properly, automate the process to a great extent.

In RoboHelp/Word you can define styles and store them in the
' robohelp.dot' template attached to your source documents.
RoboHelp uses these style definitions when generating the
WinHelp output.