Relocation for work? A wee OT

Subject: Relocation for work? A wee OT
From: skwpt <skwpt -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 11:31:17 -0700 (PDT)

Hello all:

I don't have an offer yet---but one may come within
the next day or so for a permanent technical writing
position out of state. I believe there was a thread
with some content on relocation a couple weeks ago,
but it was embedded under another subject line and my
search didn't produce satisfactory results.

I'd love to hear from people who moved over 500 miles
from "home." I was not considering leaving New England
(I've lived away and always come back). But now I'm
not so sure.

So my question is, aside from looking at a cost of
living index (and what the final compensation package
is), what are other issues you considered before
making a major life change like this? Also, if anyone
is living in NC, what is the technical communication
job market like?

Some background: I have been employed with the same
company for two years (Boston/suburbs-based); overall
~5 years tw experience (unfortunately NOT supertechie
writing), and I have a Master of Technical and
Professional Communication. I'm a tenant at will and
have no husband/children to consider so I could move
within 30 days. Job sounds very good, and this company
would pay my moving expenses.

I hear North Carolina is nice... but I LOVE where I
live. Is it reasonable/rational to refuse a job just
because I don't want to live in the south? (NB In 1989
I made a similar move where I left NH for a job in
Philly and didn't come back to New England until 1993,
so I don't think fear of the unknown is an issue.) The
job is based in Burlington, NC.

Please feel free to respond to me directly at
skwpt -at- yahoo -dot- com -dot-

Thanks
Kelly

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/