Re: Questions about FAQs

Subject: Re: Questions about FAQs
From: "Michael West" <mbwest -at- bigpond -dot- net -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2001 07:19:18 +1000

> What tools do you use for implementation?
> How do you maintain it?
> How do you make sure that information is current?

A FAQ for what? Web site? Application help system?
There are many ways to maintain lists of frequently
asked questions. I think you'll need to provide more
information if you want implementation advice.

Before you start making one, though, you'd do well
to consider whether it is the best thing you can do
for your audience.

FAQs have become the Lazy Man's way of providing
user assistance -- real no-brainers. As a user, I find
them annoying most of the time, and far less useful
than well-ordered information organized by topic under
informative headings.

Why should I have to read through a list of questions
I don't care about in hopes that I will find the one
that I do care about? If you must have one, I recommend
using a brief header for each small grouping, identifying
the key topic or issue category being addressed. Give the
headers some visibility so readers can easily scan them:
left-aligned is more easily skimable than centered, for
example.

Not what you asked, I know -- but something to consider
if you're at all concerned with being helpful rather than just
having a FAQ because it seems like the thing to do.

--
Michael West
Melbourne, Australia