Re: Professional respect

Subject: Re: Professional respect
From: SteveFJong -at- aol -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 13:05:29 EDT

Meena S <meena -at- thinkbn -dot- com> tells us she don't get no respect. Believe me,
Meena, we've all heard that before!

I fully agree with the advice of Bill Swallow (first of several) that respect
is earned. Toward that end, in thinking about this issue in the past, I wrote
up a list of ten specific ways in which technical communicators add value.
The more of these things we do, the more respect we earn. I think the list as
apropos, and I offer it for your consideration.

-- Steve

TEN WAYS TECHNICAL COMMUNICATORS ADD VALUE TO DOCUMENTS

I've been thinking about how technical communicators add value to documents.

Writing is not typing! It's a lot more than that. But if all we do is
reformat specs, we add little value. There are many other ways to add value
to documents, both printed and online. I list ten areas below in order of
increasing value. This is a somewhat idealized list; not all of us do all
these things equally well. What can you add to this list?

Formatting: Applying a template provides at least minimal value, by making
the information easier to find and grasp visually.

Editing: We convert written input to clear, concise, unambiguous, active
English, and verify the information provided. (In companies without a QA
group, verification is much more valuable.)

Translation to user terminology: Engineers naturally tend to create new terms
to describe their products ("stringification," anyone?); we seek
common-language equivalents. This translation to everyday language makes the
products and their underlying concepts easier for lay audiences to grasp.

following the menu bar, but by importance, time sequence, or progressive
disclosure. We know when to leave the details for later.

Level of detail: We decide the "atomicity" of descriptions and tasks based on
the needs of the intended audience, not the expertise of the SME.

Examples: For many users, examples are the most important element of
documentation. Creating working examples (which requires exercising the
product) demonstrates our grasp of the product and adds significant value.

Illustrations and tables: I once replaced 22 pages of engineering description
with one page of text and one flowchart. We know what to illustrate (not just
screen shots, but also process flows, relationships, and completed screens),
when to break up blocks of text, how to tie illustrations to text, and how to
depict items cleanly without distracting the eye from the message.

Task-based presentation: Specs are necessarily product-based; that is, they
describe the product and its components. (We call this reference
information.) While it's easiest for us to bang out reference information, a
user trying to perform a task has to map the functions described to the
results desired. Task-based, or procedural, documentation does this work for
users.

Synthesis of product requirements and product specifications: Marketing tells
us what users want; Engineering tells us what the product does. We can
combine this information, and tell users not only what the product does, but
how it can solve their problems--which, when all is said and done, is the
only reason they bought the product in the first place.

Troubleshooting: Engineers focus on how the product works; we can add what to
do when the product doesn't work. Ask any user what part of the user's guide
they turn to most, and the answer is likely to be the troubleshooting
chapter. I believe this is the most difficult information to obtain, but the
most valuable. The best source of troubleshooting information is the
technical support group. Sometimes you have to wait several releases to get
it, but good troubleshooting information, especially solutions to common
problems, is almost beyond value.

-- Steve

Steven Jong, Documentation Team Manager (Typo? What tpyo?)
Lightbridge, Inc., 67 South Bedford St., Burlington, MA 01803 USA
mailto:jong -at- lightbridge -dot- com -dot- nospam 781.359.4902 [voice]
Home Sweet Homepage: http://hometown.aol.com/SteveFJong