RE: Professional respect

Subject: RE: Professional respect
From: "Christensen, Kent" <lkchris -at- sandia -dot- gov>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 08:39:07 -0600

re: Very simple answer: you EARN it.

Yes, and a good method is user testing. It will be hard for the techies to
ignore your scientific process and your data.

Another: instead of just cut and run (write the manual or the help and be
done with it) why not an interactive, Web-based FAQ site where essentially
the manual is continually updated and refined? Ensure this "feedback" is
regularly reviewed by both the writers and the techies--make it a work rule.

I suppose as an investment or stock analyst one might look for companies
where members work together for the customers' benefit rather than working
against each other for some sort of (temporary) psychological thrill.
Choosing a major should not be the same thing as choosing who to hate. Too
bad universities don't teach teamwork ... and I don't mean anything like
football.

Yes, it's been discussed here before. There are very few success stories
reported. Haven't heard of any schools doing it right yet. Local successes
may be occurring, but we should associate for global effect ... at the
university level--same places where techies become techies. Hard to see this
happening with online classes--if you get your tech writing training with
online classes will you work with engineers and computer scientists who got
their degrees with online classes?

Suggest it would be useful for this list to relate success stories. Not so
much from individual efforts, please, but rather via stories of successful
university programs and stories of firms that have proactively organized for
success and have shown results. There are two sides to the story, and we
cover the "it's a job" side ad nauseam here, but seldom do we cover how
firms and their customers benefit from our efforts. Let's just do that.