Re: professional respect

Subject: Re: professional respect
From: "Lurker writer" <lurker_writer -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2001 15:12:24 -0500

Devdra said:

"I am here to reveal your work to the user. It doesn't matter how wonderful
your code is if the user does not realize the feature exists or cannot
figure out how to use it."

While that's a great thing to say to help you win the battle, it may actually cause you to lose the war. As someone else mentioned, you have to demonstrate/earn respect...SHOW what you can do, and stop talking about how you are the Usability Angel. You certainly won't get it by saying things that alienate the very people you need to form alliances with.

In my 23 years' experience, I am doing less actual writing and editing now than ever even though I have an overflowing plate of projects. My internal and external customers are more interested in what I can do to help with information delivery methods, problem solving, project management, and knowledge management/transfer than they are about where I insert semi-colons or how I structure a template. My superiors are more interested in how I and my teams can contribute to a valuation model for the organization today.

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: