Re: On using pirated software

Subject: Re: On using pirated software
From: Sandy Harris <sandy -at- storm -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:36:48 -0400

Tom Johnson wrote:

> The company I work for makes it a priority to maintain legitimate licenses
> for products. We recently received a letter from an attorney in Chicago
> (working for Microsoft) demanding that we list every piece of MS software
> that we have installed on every computer.
>
> Then, we had to come up with a legitimate pathway for every license we had.
> That meant we had to ...

I'd drop that letter off with the corporate legal dep't asking them to
draft a reply that more politely, and if possible more firmly, made the
points:

Our company policy is to maintain legitimate licenses for products,
including MS products. We also register them, so you have appropriate
records.

We would agree to the auditing you request only if it worked both ways.
You would need to provide us with complete source code for Windows 2000,
Office and Outlook. We'd like to have them audited by security experts.

Our charges for this work on auditing ourselves will be $xxx a day for
our staff time. We will start as soon as we have your agreement to pay
those charges, and your agreement to send the source code mentioned in
the previous paragraph.

If either of the above conditions is not acceptable, then your reqest
is not acceptable. Please provide a clear statement that you understand
that your previous letter was an error and that you will never indulge
in such nonsense again.