Re: Word to PowerPoint Conversion/Job advice (long)

Subject: Re: Word to PowerPoint Conversion/Job advice (long)
From: "M Rassmussen" <mrassmussen -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2001 15:39:46

Thanks to everyone who helped with my question. For some of the photos, rather than import all of them with one or two to a page, I made a Flash movie that stores the desired photos and allows the user to choose which ones to display. I think that was a better solution and makes for a more streamlined look. For the text, I just copied and pasted. Will Microsoft ever make it easier for Word and PowerPoint to talk to each other?

I do have another question, and it's less tech writey and more job related. I'm one of them there recent college grads, and I need advice.

I, like millions of other Americans, do not like my job. The people I closely work with are great. The assignments have allowed me to learn quite a bit in the four months that I've been here. But it's clear that there's no room for advancement and it's nearly impossible to get things done due to an overwhelming level of incompetence. Even though I know one should stick with one's first job for at least a year, I'm seriously entertaining the idea of quitting.

Here's why:

First, the backstory. I interviewed for a position at one company in February. I was offered the job in April, and I accepted because there aren't many entry-level tech writer positions. When I started in May --only one week after graduation -- suddenly, I was employed by a new company. In the interim, the company had been swallowed by a larger one, and the new company's master plan was to merge several divisions into one -- a process that will be completed in January. No one seems happy about this, and it's not been a smooth transition. I'm new to the MegaGlobalCorporation world, and I'm getting a real lesson in it.

At lunch, one of my co-workers told me that it's pretty much impossible to advance in this industry (defense) without moving to another company. The logic among the head honchos is, "Well, why should I give her a promotion or raise if she's doing the same job she was doing the day before the promotion or raise?" So, to earn more money, get better assignments, etc., it's necessary to jump ship. I would prefer being at a company for a few years, so I don't like the idea of needing to shop around whenever I want a few extra bucks.

Also, I found out shortly after starting the job that the main project I'm working on will likely be scrapped next year, thus costing me my job. Not only that, they're unsure if there will even be enough money in the current contract to take us until new funding comes in in November. That's not particularly reassuring. Had I known...

The company has adopted an inane policy on Internet usage, to the point where I can't even get my work done. I do a lot of graphics design, along with tech writing, and I use the Internet to find royalty-free clip art and graphics, Photoshop tips, Word to PowerPoint conversion advice, etc. Now, almost every site I go to is blocked or is blocked shortly after I visit it. I've written to the network admins at headquarters about it, and I've received no response. My boss is pissed off about it, but even he seems unable to get anything done. It's a huge company, and getting anything done needs a committee. (Ask me about the hand lotion incident. Please.)

And I don't go to anything I would deem "inappropriate." I need to use the Internet as part of my job because I'm sort of flying by the seat of my pants with my current projects. So, I subscribe to useful mailing lists (e.g., this one, one on ToolBook II, etc.) and search for tips or ideas for programs I haven't used much (e.g., PowerPoint). I've been left to do my own thing, which is great, but a lot of the tools I'm using are new to me and I need that little boost that the Internet can provide. Also, our e-mail server is down constantly. I use a free e-mail account so that our customers and off-site co-workers can reach me. We send a lot of files back and forth, so it's imperative that I have an address that works. One can only hear "Sorry, but for the next few hours, all e-mail sent to a foo.com address will be bounced back to sender until we figure out the problem" so many times.

The muckety-mucks sent a company-wide mailing about abuse of Internet privileges, but it didn't say what sites would be considered appropriate or if there's some sort of process for employees to say, "Hey, these are the kinds of sites I need to visit." It's frustrating, and it's made me incredibly paranoid about doing my job. Shhh, what if they're listening?

Where I work, there are only four people (including me) from my division. Everyone else is from another division, and trust me, we're reminded of this constantly. It's like high school. We're treated like bastard red-headed stepchildren. None of my co-workers in my division are happy about working for the new company, and they complain about it bitterly and constantly. It's gotten to the point where I think, Well, they've been in this industry for a long time and if they don't like this company or where it's headed, why do *I* want to work here?

The icing on the cake is that this job is a 140-mile roundtrip commute. I took the job because I had planned on moving near the office after so many months, but for obvious reasons, I'm not about to do that now. So, I wake up at 5:30 a.m., leave around 6:30 a.m., get to work around 8, leave around 5:30 p.m. and get home around 7 p.m. It's a long, tiring day, but it's a sacrifice I was willing to make for what I thought was a great job. I turned down good jobs that were closer because this job offered the best opportunity to learn new skills. Now, I'm at the point where I'm ready to chop off an appendage just to go on short-term disability and not deal with any of this for a few weeks.

My friends and family keep asking why I'm still there, and the only answer I can give is that I need the experience, which is a really strong reason to stay. But I wonder if it's worth it? Is this just how today's workplace is?

-Michelle

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: