Adding new content to a recently released document?

Subject: Adding new content to a recently released document?
From: "Hart, Geoff" <Geoff-H -at- MTL -dot- FERIC -dot- CA>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:07:51 -0400

Christine Gonzales wonders: <<How do you communicate revisions to a
document? Do you just make the change, or create a new revised document or,
send an e-mail that says "there are changes to this document..." For
example, I created a document on some new features to a tool that was
already being used in house. 3 weeks later, there are some "do this if this
and do that if this" on the new feature that were communicated via e-mail,
and should be added to the document.>>

It's obviously impractical to print and distribute a new version of the
entire manual every few weeks, and anecdotal evidence (repeated discussions
on techwr-l) suggests that sending change pages (i.e., "please insert this
page between pages 23 and 24 of your manual"*) is an exercise in futility,
since nobody inserts the change pages. This suggests some form of online
information should do the job nicely. If the software is distributed on a
CD, the updated manuals could easily be shipped on the same CD. The ideal
situation is to integrate the changes into the context-sensitive online
help, so nobody ever has to go looking for them or wonder whether the
changes are there: when you need the information, it's already there in the
Help file. You can use the same approach if the manuals are used solely
in-house, but in this case, rather than distributing them on a CD, you might
be able to make them available on your intranet (or in a special network
directory for those who don't have a formal intranet).

* Just checking to see if anyone is really paying attention. We now return
to your regularly scheduled message...

Of course, you may also need to alert users to important changes. ("Remember
the red button we told you to press? That button now deletes your file and
fries your computer. Please use the green button instead. And too bad if you
don't read online help files--that'll teach you to respect our work!") In
that case, you need a prominent link to changes in the table of contents and
other likely locations. For example, for changes that affect procedures
users are likely to reach directly, without ever seeing the table of
contents, the changes must be visible at the start of the appropriate
topics.

<<Of course, there are those that like hard-copy and will print a copy and
never bother going back the Intranet for the latest one, but I can't help
them.>>

Alas, you can't help them. Much though we discuss our responsibilty to the
user, it's important to remember that we can't do much more than make
information readily available and easy to use. They're the ones who have to
decide to use it.

geoff-h -at- mtl -dot- feric -dot- ca
"User's advocate" online monthly at

"I vowed [that] if I complained about things more than three times, I had to
do something about it."--Jon Shear