Re: Readme files with references to fixed bugs

Subject: Re: Readme files with references to fixed bugs
From: "Dana Worley" <dana -at- campbellsci -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 12:12:53 -0600

> We have an internal database in which we log bugs (er....issues).
> There are sometimes hundreds of issues logged per release, and some of
> them are just typo fixes, etc. It would be difficult to decide which
> fixes are important enough to be listed, and I really don't think we
> want to list them all.

I think if you look at it closely, it will be relatively easy to determine
which problems should be included in the readme.txt.

What resolved issues have had a significant impact on your users
(or have the potential for significant impact)?

What are the issues that drove the new release of the product?
Most likely, you have bugs in your data base that would be nice to
have fixed but are not crucial, so they don't warrant a new release
by themselves. There are other issues, however, that are part of the
reason for a new release. These are the items to outline in a
readme.

What significant functionality was added?

I think you have to look at what is most important to your users
and weed out all the "noise" (typos, additions to documentation,
etc.)

Dana W.