RE: Adding new content to a recently released document.

Subject: RE: Adding new content to a recently released document.
From: Christine Gonzales <christine -dot- Gonzales -at- medstat -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 13:24:25 -0400

Like most of you, I work in a constantly changing environment. It seems
either the process changes, the tool is upgrade or the function changes.
I love it.
However,
I have a question for those the work in a similar environment.
How do you communicate revisions to a document? Do you just make the chang,
or create a new revised document or, send an e-mail that says "there are
changes to this document..."

For example, I created a document on some new features to a tool that was
already being used in house. 3 weeks later, there are some "do this if this
and do that if this" on the new feature that were communicated via e-mail,
and should be added to the document. I did do my homework and asked the
right questions, but this type of practice is very common here.

The question is, how do I get the message across to my audience without
bombarding them with document release 2,3,4 etc. How do I communicate the
updates without pushing another document for them to read or, the same
document that they will look at for 3 seconds, then ignore because it looks
like the one that got sent out three weeks ago?

We keep all documents on the company Intranet. Of course, there are those
that like hard-copy and will print a copy and never bother going back the
Intranet for the latest one, but I can't help them.