Re: Freelance work - via telecommute

Subject: Re: Freelance work - via telecommute
From: Chris <cud -at- telecable -dot- es>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 11:31:38 +0200

I hate to say it, but with the newly fallen empire of dot.com mania (ok, so I'm oversimplifying) it seems there is more resistance to telecommuting, not less. I've been telecommuting from Europe for nearly 3 years. My projects come in on time and in budget. I get the projects that other people can't handle. I get up to speed *fast*. I program for $$$ in C, I know EDA, SGML/XML, B2B, APIs, and a host of other buzz-word/acronyms. I can even spell some of them, ha ha.

These days I hear the following more than I'd like to - "Your resume is really strong. If you plan on moving back to the States, please let us know." Actually, I think this downturn has hit contractors harder than usual - the pubs depts already shrank to their optimal fulltime count - instead of cutting fulltimers and relying on contractors, they're just cutting contractors. Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong - I'm forming rash opinions long-distance.

So what are the resources? Personal contacts. Keep in touch with previous employers and fellow employees. As they move around, they may see you as the right person for the job. Also, try to find a contract house that is willing to work with you from a distance. Even these, the most progressive and flexible of employers, seem to choke on the idea, though. You can offer them savings, a strong resume, a track record, testimonials, etc. Yet they seem to see a telecommuter as a liability. The fact of the matter is, they will have to sell you to their clients. So in a way, they're right.

Oh gosh, I sound like I'm whining. I'm not, really. I just end up spending more time looking for work than I used to. And from a distance it's hard to guage what's going on. It's like fishing - should I change my bait? Look for another pond? And so it goes.

When things get tight, people tend toward the conservative side of the tracks. But, as H. S. Thompson said, "When the going gets wierd, the wierd turn pro."

Cheers cud

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: