RE: More ethics...

Subject: RE: More ethics...
From: Mike Stockman <stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2001 08:29:16 -0400

On 08/20/2001 1:23 AM, Kelley (kwalker2 -at- gte -dot- net) wrote:

> It's a very Bad Thing (does anyone
>have the trademark on that? :) that Adobe didn't hire competent people in
>the first place.

Beware of judging the competency of those with more information than we
have. There are many factors and constraints we aren't privy to that
affected the encoding Adobe used, and you or I, with the same
information, might well have made the same decision.

For one thing, they could have used any number of publicly-available
encryption methods that would have rendered the document virtually
uncrackable... the problem with that is, once you decide to display the
document on screen, you have to decrypt it (in memory, at least) to do
so. That means the method of decrypting has to travel with the document
somehow. Instant weakening of the encryption.

My opinion is that Adobe could still make piles of money with even a
basic barrier to casual copying, without cumbersome copy-protection or
lawsuits, but they're not willing to settle for that. By racing after the
unattainable goal of "authorized readers only," they're destroying their
credibility and market.

----->Mike

stockman -at- jagunet -dot- com -- AOL and AOL Instant Messenger:MStockman