Re: More ethics...

Subject: Re: More ethics...
From: "Robert L. Stallard \(News Lists\)" <rlslists -at- ev1 -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 23:58:30 -0500

Greetings,

Bruce wrote:
> The United States' law agencies have a history of
> thinking that American law overrides the laws of
> other countries... As a frequent visitor to the US,
> should I therefore select my contracts to ensure that
> they don't contravene American law? To the best of
> my knowledge, I don't believe that I ever have been
> involved in any work that might cause me trouble,
> but why should I have to keep up to date on
> American laws or curtail visiting the US simply
> because its law enforcement agencies think that its
> laws take precedence the rest of the world's? ...
> Many Americans tend to think these concerns are
> unimportant, but they're of real concern to
> non-Americans - even to citizens of supposedly
> allied countries - if only because the area is so
> full of uncertainties and ominous precedents.

As a US-born citizen who has lived half his life overseas and who has had
the treasured opportunity to know people from different parts of the world,
I must agree with you and add the following:

Most non-Americans dislike the US because of the arrogant and prepotent
attitude the US government and American (transnational) corporations have
towards the rest of the world. Whether this attitude is intentional or not,
that is the impression the US conveys to the rest of the world. Even some
citizens of other "developed" countries consider the US to be populated by a
"bunch of cowboys" (exact words said to me) because of its two-faced
attitude towards basic human rights, giving it a sub-developed attribute, in
addition to its overbearing behavior. Many Americans, I believe, may be
ignorant to this.

Globalization is making borders between countries less rigid. As technical
writers, we certainly will have to consider localization issues that are not
limited only to language and culture, but also to local governments and
legislation, among many other factors.

What is more, if the Elcomsoft software that is the object of the Sklyarov
case comes with user assistance (help) and a manual, the writer also would
be liable and could face jail too. Because of this, technical writers are
coerced into revising their code of ethics to include provisions for the
DMCA.

What also is unfortunate in this (DMCA) case is that American business and
government are reinforcing the prepotent-cowboy-two-faced image of the USA.
This will eventually backfire affecting the market share they claim to
protect and making it more difficult for US companies and professionals to
do business and benefit from the transfer of technology with the rest of the
world. What a shame and what a waste!

I will pray so that we may once again be free! Oh, I forgot and take back
what I just said. In the US, prayer too is not permitted in public.

Blessings,

Robert L. Stallard
Technical Writer
Houston, Texas, USA
-- Citizen of the World & Child of the Universe --