Got a job--thanks

Subject: Got a job--thanks
From: "K. Joyce McDonald" <KJoyceMcDonald -at- satx -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2001 09:50:25 -0500

I wanted to thank everyone who sent in suggestions regarding resumes, salary
negotiations, cover letters, job titles and the like. It was extremely
useful to me in securing a job and negotiating salary.

I can't remember who suggested that in the cover letter you go through the
job requirements and list the qualifications that you possess in fulfillment
of each of those requirements. I want to thank you profusely, because it
almost guarantees an interview.

Also useful is the suggestion that you get your salary requirements up
front, and capitalize on their desire to hire someone quickly. I used it to
advantage to negotiate a salary higher than the position from which I was
laid off, with a further raise in 90 days when I prove myself.

Thanks also for being a support group during one of the worst times in my
life. Being laid off from a company you love and you suffered for (with
little reward) is a real bummer. I now see, however that I should thank them
because they opened the door to bigger and better things.

Again, many, many thanks to all.

K. Joyce McDonald