RE: HELP ASAP: SQL wild card question

Subject: RE: HELP ASAP: SQL wild card question
From: Dannette Thompson <dthomps -at- foundationsoft -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2001 09:26:38 -0400

I work on an application written in PowerBuilder and based on a SQL database
here. I've written many select statements, and I checked with my developers
to confirm this:

In SQL, "*" can be used to represent field names. For instance, "SELECT *
FROM Table_Name". On the other hand, if you want to use a wild card
character within the WHERE clause, you need to use the % sign, not the
asterisk. SQL will recognize the asterisk as an actual character, not a wild
card. I don't believe this is something that your developers can change, as
it is part of the actual language. However, there might be workarounds, such
as using a left outer join to set all characters equal to an asterisk. But
that would add a lot of complication for your users.

HTH!

Dannette Thompson
Technical Writer
Foundation Software, Inc.
The #1 Accounting Software for Labor-Intensive Contractors
The opinions expressed in this message do not necessarily reflect the
opinions or policies of my employer or coworkers.