Re: Assumptions, the Audience and Arithmetic

Subject: Re: Assumptions, the Audience and Arithmetic
From: Dick Margulis <margulis -at- fiam -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2001 05:38:19 -0400

John,

I'd suggest something like, "Subtract A from B. See example." Then I'd
illustrate the process in a sidebar, pointing out the negative number
and the "change sign and add" step in the illustration.

That way you are not impeding the flow of the instructions with material
some might find patronizing, but you are acknowledging that there is
something going on here that a few might find tricky. That seems about
the right balance to me.

Dick