RE: Directly inserting html text

Subject: RE: Directly inserting html text
From: "Eric J. Ray <ejray -at- raycomm -dot- com>" <ericjray -at- raycomm -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:12:55 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001 bryan -dot- westbrook -at- amd -dot- com wrote:

> Server side includes are really easy to do using ASP, but you need IIS on
> the server for it to work:
>
> The code is:
>
> <!-- #include file="path/filename.inc" -->
>
> It will include the contents of the *.inc file into the *.asp file in place
> of the code as if it had always been there (and that is how it will appear
> is anybody views your source because the substitution is made on the server
> not the client).
>
> I just started using this lately for single sourcing (especially glossary
> entries) and it's been a big help.

Yes, and you can accomplish the same thing with any worthwhile
Web server. We're using PHP for the TECHWR-L site, and do that
for all of the page headers/footers. You can do the same with
Perl, or a vanilla Web server. The code you provide above
is actually generic SSI code that would work on any
properly configured Web server back to the days of
NCSA httpd 1.x.

The question is, does Meg have access to a Web server, or is she trying to
do this without one. Without one would be somewhat less efficient and
more challenging.

Eric