RE: Single most important tech writer skill?

Subject: RE: Single most important tech writer skill?
From: "Swallow, William" <WSwallow -at- courion -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 13:07:00 -0400

Management and HR priorities... since when do they have anything to do with
getting a tech writer job?!? Bah!

;)

The harsh reality is that we can debate what our strongest skill set should
be all we want, but it won't mean jack. Our marketability is based on
perceived skill sets. Right now the demanded skill set du jour is technical
in nature - Frame/Word, XML (as it's such a widely used technology capable
of creating anything, including sliced bread), help authoring (RoboHelp,
WebWorks Publisher, the output doesn't matter because HR can't see beyond
the tool used to create it)...

Basically, these days you'll be lucky to find an open position, what with
all the layoffs and budget freezes. The position you'll be applying for will
most-likely be based on the skills that the last writer in that position
had.

As for getting the job done, we all know that we need to be able to gather
info, chase down answers, and be able to communicate the results to an
audience. As for getting the job, we currently need to expose our tool
belts.

My thoughts only. Don't kill the messenger... unless you're looking for a
good fight... Billy got sleep this weekend. *vbg*

*****************
BILL SWALLOW
Technical Writer
C O U R I O N C O R P O R A T I O N
1881 Worcester Road
Framingham, Mass. 01701
T E L * 508-879-8400 x316
F A X * 508-879-8500
www.courion.com
THIS EMAIL CONTAINS CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION
MEANT FOR THE INTENDED RECIPIENT ONLY. PLEASE
DELETE THIS IF YOU HAVE RECEIVED IT IN ERROR.