Distilling PDFs from UNIX with Acrobat 4.0

Subject: Distilling PDFs from UNIX with Acrobat 4.0
From: "Mark Osborne" <MOsborne -at- bna -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2001 11:20:51 -0400

I've been saving FrameMaker 5.5 files as PDFs on a
SpacStation with Solaris 5.7. The screen captures display on
the screen as blurred and they have a checkerboard pattern
across them that is really ugly. They actually look OK when
they're printed out, but my users mostly use the PDFs on the
screen. I've tried running Acrobat Distiller 4.0 from the
command line and the results haven't been much better. I
have used the the joboptions file:
"ScreenOptimized.joboptions" without success. I know it's
possible for me to create my own joboptions parameters file,
but I have no idea which parameters to modify and which
values to set them to. Is this documented anywhere?

I've tried searching the techwr-l archives and have found a
couple of informative postings but nothing that really
addresses this problem. Any information about alternative
lists to check would be helpful too.

Thanks

Mark A. Osborne
Bureau of National Affairs, Inc.