RE: Senior Technical Writer

Subject: RE: Senior Technical Writer
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 01:51:52 -0700 (PDT)

> To sum up, IMHO job title directly affects compensation and opportunity,
> both present and future. So by God yes I do attach importance to it!

Yes...some places are more interested in titles than actual skill.
However, I would not want to work at such a place.

I don't think I need to tell you that skill and capability have NOTHING
whatsoever to do with title or pay. To think otherwise is truly nieve.

In fact, I often find that people who are overly concerned with their
title are often doing so because they lack something. They try to use the
title to garner wages they have not earned or mask skills they do not
have.

Sure, having and impressive title feels good. If you can fess up to that,
then you can also fess up to the fact that your ability to get work done
isn't dependent on your title. It is dependent on your attitude,
capabilities, and willingness to take the bull by the horns. Just because
you have the title of Tech Pubs Manager or Senior Technical Writer, does
not mean you are better, more capable, or even an authority. I know plenty
of senior level writers with sub-human level skills.

Authority flows from ability. If you can regularly demonstrate the ability
to get work done and keep people motivated, then you can honestly claim a
title of manager or senior.

Moreover, if you are truly capable and build a reputation, you can make
way, way, way more money than just having a cool sounding title. Good work
is like crack, it sells itself. Or as I like to say: "every customer is a
sales person for you."

Andrew Plato
Senior Hydro-thermic Ceramic Technician III and Adjunct Committee Chair to
the Regional Coordinator of Executive Administrative Functional Systems IV
(Fish Scented)

http://im.yahoo.com/