Re: Senior Technical Writer

Subject: Re: Senior Technical Writer
From: bmpage <bmpage -at- mediaone -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 00:26:43 -0500

"K. Joyce McDonald" wrote:

> I had the attitude originally that people could call me anything they wanted
> besides flunkee. However, now that I'm job-seeking, having been laid off my
> job as senior technical writer, I realize the importance of titles. The job
> before my senior tech writer position I miraculously got the designation of
> Vice President of Documentation. I'm now getting almost 100% response on the
> resumes I send to private industry. On the other hand, the educational
> institutions (with which I also have ten years experience) ignore me almost
> completely. Go figure.

I'd tend to disagree with that. My first job title out of college was Senior
Technical Writer (still don't get why "staff" was the highest and "senior" was
the lowest) and also being on the job hunt, I'm having the worst time on all
fronts. Although I should say, nowadays a lot more people buy into my last
title, "Technical Communicator" as something impressive. Still ain't got me any
offers though.

Victoria