RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers

Subject: RE: Stress Management Amongst Technical Writers
From: "Glenn Maxey" <glenn -dot- maxey -at- voyanttech -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2001 10:31:25 -0600

Part I. The most stressful aspects of being a tech writer.

5) Arbitrarily being prevented from doing what needs to be done by
pointy-haired bosses.

4) Not being able to document much until the product is near finished
and close to release, because otherwise I'd be spinning my wheels and
revisiting things many times.

3) Yammering about fonts, styles, and usability.

2) Self-imposed procrastination (... just one more e-mail.)

And the number one most stressful aspect of being a tech writer

1) Finding the time to write manuals (for which I'm paid) after posting
things like this to news groups and surfing the web.

================

Part II. Coping strategies.

5) Do what needs to be done at some point in time anyway, for my own
satisfaction if nothing else. Since when should initiative be penalized
if all other expectations are met?

4) Keep tabs on development and looking at what they do regularly so
that when it is ready for prime-time, I've already got it figured out in
my head how I want to approach the task. Then it is a matter of
focussing and cranking.

3) Let others stress and muse philosophical about fonts and styles. Use
their research and findings. :)

2) I'll get to you later about how I solve my procrastination.

1) Don't answer every e-mail where I could venture an opinion that is
more fun to write than my user's manual.