Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Susan W. Gallagher" <susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 15:14:43 -0700

At 08:42 AM 8/6/01 -0600, Deborah Ray wrote:

How does your experience as a technical writer affect
your perception of the documentation you use?
It usually never even occurs to me that the documentation
has already been written! ;-) And then I know that it was
written by <TIC>mere mortals like myself</TIC> so I recognize
that mistakes can happen. I guess that means being a tech
writer gives me less confidence.

But that reminds me of a story!

A friend of mine, after a particularly nasty succession
of layoffs, started her own technical writing company.
Eventually, she needed help, so she took in an intern
and hired him when he finished school. Now it happened
that he'd had a particularly bad day and was railing
against the publishers of a certain tool. How could they
stoop to releasing information that was so blatantly
wrong!

My friend, good manager that she is, tried to calm him
down, reminding him how easy it is for information to
fall through the cracks when you're in the midst of a
hectic release cycle.

He sputtered and muttered, then replied, "Yes, but *these*
people are *professionals*!"

She looked at him quizzically. "And you are ... perhaps ...
chopped liver?????"

"Oh."

;-)
susanwg -at- ix -dot- netcom -dot- com

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: