Re: Job Description

Subject: Re: Job Description
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2001 13:53:52 -0700

Steve Arrants wrote:

Well, probably as much as management. I've been in some situations where
I've been told something
along the lines of "We can't hire you as a senior writer because we don't
have the budget for such a
salary. But we can hire you as a writer II".

OK, within a company, titles mean something. But between companies? I'm far from sure, even though salary charts might be a factor. Despite any chart, companies are going to pay the minimum that can be negotiated with you.

>> Generally, tech-writers seem to spend far more time worrying over job titles than is healthy.

> Well, probably as much as management.

Maybe because tech-writers work with words, but many seem to have an almost mystical belief in the power of titles. I've never come across any group, management or otherwise, that frets so much over such as inessential as job titles - often at the same time as its members ignore more important issues.

Titles seem to mean more when you're searching for another position or when
a company is trying to
put a job ladder or some such in place.

I haven't found titles very meaningful when looking for work.

In fact, if you're simply looking for a job to put food on the table, too fancy a job title can be as much harm as help. If you've worked as a Documentation Manager, for example, some companies won't consider you for a position in which you work with a team.

It's rather like being made a Queen's Counsel, as John Mortimer, the creator of the Rumpole series, comments: it's an achievment that can put you out of business if you're not careful.

"My bonnie moorhen lies over the main,
And it will be summer ere he comes again,
But when he comes back again, some folk can ken,
I'll drink a health to my bonny moorhen."
-Jacobean Song

A landmark hotel, one of America's most beautiful cities, and three and a half days of immersion in the state of the art: