RE: More responsibilities, but no more $

Subject: RE: More responsibilities, but no more $
From: "Pentecost, Kay" <KPentecost -at- imf -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 12:21:40 -0400

Hi, Bill, Miranda, Everybody,

<snip>

> Find out why things are the way they are and try to work out
> a compromise.
> It's not the end of the world. Your company does not hate
> you. You are not
> the target of a cruel joke. You have merely experienced one of the
> day-to-day mishaps that happen to many people the world over.
> It all comes
> with being human and interacting with other humans.
>
> If you treat a bad situation as hostile, it WILL be hostile.
> Try to approach
> it sensibly and resolve the issue with tact. You may even get
> more out of it
> than you hoped.

I think this is a thoughtful, intelligent answer.

Another thing to consider: How do you feel about not getting the promised
pay raise?
If you resent it, and carry the resentment into your work, it's likely that
your work will suffer, and you may set your career back...

I've been in a similar position, but not lately. Not since I started asking
myself "What am I *worth*" as a software developer and technical writer"?
(Yes, I'm one of those two-headed geniuses <grin>) I ask myself if I am
getting "what I am worth"? in terms of money, respect, assignments... then I
say "How can I get what I am worth," or "How can I increase my worth"?

Kay

My opinions are my own, and have no connection with imf.org