Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "John Fleming" <johnf -at- ecn -dot- ab -dot- ca>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 18:06:22 -0600

> Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
> From: "Kelly Williamson" <kwcwtech -at- iwaynet -dot- net>
> Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:02:17 -0400

> We also heard from someone who writes docs. for crime-solving
software. I
> always thought there must be *some* fun jobs out there in this
field! Where
> are all the jobs writing dolphin-training guides, or Disney World
manuals :)
> Seriously, I would love to hear from others who have "fun" type tech
writing
> jobs. And if you have one, how did you find it? I've scoured the
papers and
> the job boards through the years and have yet to see what I would
describe
> as a fun tech writing job listed anywhere!

I have a lot of fun doing the stuff on my current project, but then,
the field fascinates me.

At the same time, there are a lot of people who would be bored to
tears.

I suppose a big part of the joy the project holds for me has to do
with my interest in the industry. All my university training prepared
me to work in this industry, and the early years of my career were
spent in this industry (though not as a tech writer).

If this is a dream job for me, I think it is because it has meaning
that goes beyond putting a roof over my head, clothes on my back, food
on my table, and some nice pictures of exotic locations like Mexico in
my photo album.

As to finding it, oddly enough it was responding to a job posting that
I didn't think I'd have a snowball's chance in hell of getting an
interview--much less getting taken on as a contractor.

--

John Fleming
Technical Writer