RE: Question about worth (was eLance)

Subject: RE: Question about worth (was eLance)
From: "Sean O'Donoghue (EPA)" <Sean.O'Donoghue -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2001 15:35:35 +1000

Shannon,

IMHO you should be asking for the role of a project manager or a
configuration/database manager, not a technical writer. Just ask your agent
to quote on the cost to your current employer of a couple of decent Oracle
programmers/designers. I deeply suspect that the figures that are quoted
will make your current remuneration pale in comparison.

As for the perl scripters who are working as code monkeys. Sounds like they
have managed to pull a quicky on that manager - good on them; but doesn't
reflect well on the manager's understanding of IT or the people in it.

> For example, I'm developing a company Intranet, Oracle database, Java
> applications, in addition to providing project management, graphic design,
> and tech writing skills. However, the hiring manager on Friday gave me a
> *generous* offer of 1/2 my current contract salary (which is $7/hr lower
> than the usual rate I charge for tech writing services alone) to continue
> as
> a permanent employee with the company-and I have no option for continuing
> as
> a contractor. With this new position, I'll also two new responsibilities--
> managing 4 people and designing and implementing a configuration
> management
> solution.
>
> This manager refers to the group of programmers that work for the company
> and make 20K more than my contract salary as "techies" because they have
> programming-related degrees (they are writing basic Perl scripts to run an
> application);

regards and thanks,
Sean O'Donoghue-Hayes
EAA - User Information Shared Services - MC49 (49.12)

telephone: (03) 9301-1695.
email: Sean.O'Donoghue -at- ericsson -dot- com -dot- au