Re: Software solution

Subject: Re: Software solution
From: Andrew Plato <intrepid_es -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:37:17 -0700 (PDT)

> It never ceases to amaze me that people actually use computer systems
> that lack basic tools like 'grep'. These were already standard on Unix
> when I learned it in the early 80s.

Sounds like a case of "default install syndrome." People assume that if a
tool isn't installed by default or they don't know how to use it, it
doesn't exist at all and the system is crap.

Actually NT and 2000 have most if not all those tools either already
installed or available on the install disk. Its just most people don't
know they are there or how to get to them.

And as for that UI...People see that pretty GUI in WinNT or 2K and assume
the OS can't do anything. Only the raw ungodly power of the command line
is "appropriate."

1. From the Start menu select Run.
2. Type "cmd" in the Open box.
3. Click OK.