Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question

Subject: Re: New TECHWR-L Poll Question
From: "Tracy Boyington" <tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 10:01:12 -0500

Bruce Byfield wrote:
<< I'm saddened to think that so many people are spending their lives at work
that they don't especially care for. >>

And Rob Cooper replied:
<< Now that I think about it...I'm saddened to think that so many people define
themselves by what they do for a living. >>

I think many of us lie somewhere in between. I am very interested in my area, and would still be interested if I didn't work in this particular area. But I would not follow it as closely as I do now... partly because no one would be paying me to do so ;-), and partly because I would be following the subject I *was* working in.

And as for my spare time... well, I have other things to occupy that. I don't *want* to spend all my waking hours thinking about one thing (as Rita Rudner said about a friend's 24-hour-labor, "I don't even want to do something that feels *good* for 24 hours").

If you happen to find work in an area that you find fascinating enough to devote your own time to, that's great, but IMHO it would be considered "gravy," not a requirement for a happy life. For me, a job that I find interesting 8 hours a day is plenty. I'll admit I'd love it if somone would pay me to play with my daughter, but the only places willing to do that don't pay much and would require me to play with other peoples' kids as well. :-)

~~~~~
Tracy Boyington tracy_boyington -at- okcareertech -dot- org
Oklahoma Department of Career & Technology Education
Stillwater, OK http://www.okcareertech.org/cimc